NEB® 5-alpha Competent E. coli (Subcloning Efficiency)
Having trouble opening your tubes? NEB Tube Opener can help!
NEB 5-alpha Competent E. coli is a derivative of the popular DH5α. It is T1 phage resistant and endA deficient for high-quality plasmid preparations.
Chemically competent E. coli cells suitable for subcloning efficiency transformations, such as plasmid transformation or routine subcloning (e.g,. inserting a 1 kb fragment into a 2 kb vector). The efficiency of these cells is not sufficiently high for most other cloning applications. For that, we recommend NEB® 5-alpha Competent E. coli (High Efficiency) (NEB #C2987) which has 1,000-fold higher transformation efficiency.
- Activity of nonspecific endonuclease I (endA1) eliminated for highest quality plasmid preparations
- Transformation efficiency > 1 x 106 cfu/µg pUC19 DNA
- Efficient transformation of unmethylated DNA derived from PCR, cDNA and many other sources (hsdR)
- Reduced recombination of cloned DNA (recA1)
- Resistance to phage T1 (fhuA2)
- Suitable for blue/white screening by α-complementation of the β-galactosidase gene
- K12 Strain
- DH5α™ derivative
- Free of animal products
GenotypefhuA2 Δ(argF-lacZ)U169 phoA glnV44 Φ80Δ (lacZ)M15 gyrA96 recA1 relA1 endA1 thi-1 hsdR17
- Product Categories:
- Cloning Competent Cell Strains Products
- Protocols, Manuals & Usage
- Tools & Resources
- FAQs & Troubleshooting
- Citations & Technical Literature
- Quality, Safety & Legal
Ineligible item added to cart
Based on your Freezer Program type, you are trying to add a product to your cart that is either not allowed or not allowed with the existing contents of your cart. Please review and update your order accordingly If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service at email@example.com or 1-800-632-5227 x 8.