Historically the function of RNA in the cell was to assist in the translation of genetic information from DNA into protein. The major species of RNA were; (A) messenger RNA, which converts the genetic information of DNA into RNA, (B) transfer RNA (tRNA) that are charged with specific amino acids and, (C) ribosomal RNA (rRNA), a major component of the ribosome. RNA has now been implicated in a diverse number of biological processes including catalysis and transcriptional regulation. Recently, technological advances and improvements in RNA analysis and detection have led to the discovery of many new classes of small and large non-coding RNAs with novel regulatory functions. Examples include, microRNA (miRNA), circular RNA, long non-coding RNA (lncRNA), small nucleolar RNA (snoRNA) and extracellular RNA (exRNA). In addition, RNA modifications have revealed added complexity to RNA. These biologically relevant modifications are an active area of exploration. These findings have helped usher in a renaissance of RNA-focused research in biology.
Latest NEB Expressions
This edition of NEB expressions discusses breakthroughs in Golden Gate Assembly research, that now enables 20+ fragment assembly with high efficiency and accuracy. New products include the NEBNext® Single Cell/Low Input RNA Library Prep Kit and the NEBNext Direct® Custom Ready Panels for NGS Target Enrichment. Lastly, learn about the importance of basic research at NEB in an interview with NEB’s Research Director.
RNA Synthesis Brochure
Learn more about NEB's products for RNA synthesis, which range from template generation to poly(A) tailing.
RNA Technical Guide
Find in depth information on tools designed to streamline your RNA workflows, including RNA extraction & purification, qPCR and RT-qPCR, RNA-seq, RNA synthesis and gRNA synthesis.
- Capturing Primary RNA Transcripts, A Novel Strategy For Analyzing Transcriptomes (2015)
- miRNA Detection by Ligation and Amplification of Complementary DNA Oligos Using SPlintR® Ligase (2015)
- The Effect of Base Modification on RNA Polymerase and Reverse Transcriptase Fidelity (2018)
- Troubleshooting Guide for RNA Cleanup
- Troubleshooting Guide for Total RNA Extraction & Purification
- Avoiding Ribonuclease Contamination
- Guidelines for Purification of RNA from Cultured Mammalian Cells
- Fuchs, R.T., Sun, Z., Zhuang, F., et al. 2015. Bias in ligation-based small RNA sequencing library construction is determined by adaptor and RNA structure PLoS One. 10(5), PubMedID: 25942392, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0126049
Learn more about the streamlined workflow for the NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA Library Prep Kit.
This method describes high yield in vitro synthesis of both capped and uncapped mRNA from a linearized plasmid containing the Gaussia luciferase (GLuc) gene.
Behind the paper: Jennifer summarizes her group’s recent Nucleic Acid Research publication describing how individual RNA base modifications affect RNA polymerase fidelity as well as reverse transcription error rates.