When isolating nucleic acids from cells, the first step is to disrupt the cell membrane to release the DNA. This is often done using chaotropic salts, alkaline denaturation, or detergents. Next, the soluble components of the cell lysate must be separated from the cellular debris and other insoluble materials. Centrifugation and vacuum filtration are frequently used to accomplish this separation, but magnetic clearing has gained wide acceptance more recently. Lastly, the nucleic acids must be separated from the other soluble materials in the lysate, including proteins.
Once the DNA is in solution, regardless of whether it originated from cells or from an enzymatic reaction, there are many different methods that can be employed to isolate it from other soluble components.
- Are plasmids recovered using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit endotoxin free?
- Can I use the Monarch DNA & PCR Cleanup Kit to purify oligonucleotides and other short DNA fragments?
- I have used 5 ml of cell culture for plasmid isolation with the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep kit and I am obtaining low amounts of plasmid and/or contaminating gDNA. Why is this, and what are your suggestions to improve yield and purity?
- Monarch® Plasmid DNA Miniprep Kit Protocol (NEB #T1010)
- Monarch® DNA Gel Extraction Kit Protocol (NEB #T1020)
- Protocol for DNA Cleanup and Concentration Using the Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) (NEB #T1030)
- Quick Protocol for Monarch® DNA Gel Extraction Kit (NEB #T1020)
- Quick Protocol for DNA Cleanup and Concentration Using the Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) (NEB #T1030)
- Quick Protocol for Monarch® Plasmid Miniprep Kit (NEB #T1010)
- Oligonucleotide Cleanup Using Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) Protocol (NEB #T1030)
- Quick Protocol for Oligonucleotide Cleanup Using the Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) (NEB #T1030)
- Genomic DNA Cleanup Protocol
Five Steps to a Greener Lab: A roadmap to environmental action
The laboratory is a place of inspiration, curiosity, ingenuity, and often altruism. Researchers are, by and large, a thoughtful and deeply invested group, but the environmental and ecological consequences of life science research are not typically at the forefront of researchers’ minds when planning their investigations.
- Troubleshooting Guide for DNA Cleanup and Plasmid Purification
- Troubleshooting Guide for Genomic DNA Extraction & Purification (NEB #T3010)
- Back to basics: Important things to keep in mind when purifying plasmids and DNA fragments
- Dos and Don'ts of Plasmid Minipreps
- Six Tips for a Perfect Gel Extraction
- Usage Guidelines for the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit (#T1010) When Working with Low Copy Plasmids
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
After lysing your sample during your DNA extraction workflow, follow these tips to ensure that your purified gDNA is high-quality, intact, and free from contaminants.
Successful genomic DNA extraction from tissues requires proper handling and storage upfront of purification. Follow our guidelines to ensure isolation of high quality, high molecular weight gDNA.
Learn how to do a plasmid miniprep using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit.
Learn how to extract DNA from agarose gels using the Monarch DNA Gel Extraction Kit.
Learn how to isolate DNA from your enzymatic reactions, including PCR, using the Monarch PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 µg).
Optimize your plasmid miniprep results with these quick tips for using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit.
Optimize your DNA gel extractions with our quick tips for using the Monarch DNA Gel Extraction Kit.
Optimize your DNA isolation from PCR and other enzymatic reactions with our quick tips for using the Monarch PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit.
Learn how you can easily recycle all of the components in your Monarch Kits.
Get helpful tips for effective lysis of tissue samples to optimize DNA extraction using the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit
Get helpful tips for DNA extraction from blood samples using the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit